Jurnalul de Chirurgie
 Jurnalul de chirurgie
Aparitie trimestriala in a doua luna a trimestrului
Published quarterly in the second month of the quarter
ISSN: 1584 - 9341 Vol.10 Nr.3 - Iulie-Septembrie 2014 | sâmbătă, 23 martie 2019
ISSN: 1584 - 9341 Vol.10 No.3 - July-September 2014
English
British Flag| Romana Romanian Flag
 
Creditare EMC
Colegiul Medicilor
Va invitam sa va inregistrati/abonati la Jurnalul de chirurgie pentru a beneficia de creditare EMC
User

Parola

Tine minte
Ti-ai uitat parola?
Syndicate

Advertisement

Elmed

Estima

Liamed

Listare E-mail

DIAGNOSIS OF BLUNT INTESTINAL INJURIES
Ioana Iftimie-Nastase, M. Beuran
Department of General Surgery, Clinical Emergency Hospital
Jurnalul de chirurgie 2011; 7 (2): 245-249
Full text:
Format PDF (Română/Romanian)

Abstract:

Introduction: Blunt intestinal injuries may be difficult to diagnose accurately. However, diagnostic delays are almost always associated with increased morbidity and mortality. The purpose of this study is that of evaluating the efficiency of various diagnostic methods in identifying intestinal injuries in patients with blunt abdominal trauma. Materials and method: Between 2004-2010 the Clinical Emergency Hospital in Bucharest admitted 81 patients with hollow viscous injuries following blunt abdominal trauma, out of which 70 having sustained intestinal  lesions of various degrees. Results: 80% of the patients included in the study were involved in motor-vehicle accidents, with nearly all of them wearing seat-belts, remaining 20% of patients having been victims of falls from heights, assaults and animal assaults. 37 patients had equivocal  clinical signs and 33 cases (47%) had obvious signs of peritoneal irritation upon admission. 7% of patients displayed the “seat belt” sign. Abdominal ultrasound was positive in 77% of cases. Diagnostic peritoneal lavage was performed in 3 cases and turned up positive for one patient. CT was performed in 65 patients with positive results for intestinal injuries in 97% of cases. The overall mortality rate was 30% in our study, 12.5% of the deaths having sustained isolated intestinal injuries and 87.5% of cases having had at least one other associated injury.

KEY WORDS: BLUNT ABDOMINAL TRAUMA, INTESTINAL INJURIES

Correspondence to: Dr. Ioana Iftimie-Nastase Clinical Emergency Hospital, Calea Floreasca, No.8, Bucharest,



: Creative Commons License
Jurnalul de chirurgie [Journal of Surgery] by Editorial Board, Department of Surgery University of Medicine and Pharmacy Iasi, E. Tarcoveanu, R. Moldovanu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at www.jurnaluldechirurgie.ro.